Saturday, August 1, 2009

Saving postage stamps

Have you ever put postage on an envelope and then written the address wrong or changed your mind on sending something only to feel like you have wasted the stamp? What to do?

Growing up, when my mom did this, she would cut the stamp out and save it to be used later. This is definitely one habit I picked up.

Sometimes my mom needs me to write checks for her as she doesn't have a checking account and it's easier (and cheaper) for me to do this than getting money orders for her bills. Today I wrote some checks for her and actually remembered that I had stamps from envelopes never mailed, and decided to use them.

You need to be very careful when peeling the stamp from the old envelope. Then, you need a glue stick (my mom used to use Elmer's glue which was messy). Apply glue to the back of the stamp and stick it on your envelope. Be sure to check that the value of the stamp is current...it's good to have some 1 or 2 cent stamps around to make up the difference if needed.

It may not save you much money, but every bit counts! In my case today, I saved $1.61.

No comments:

Post a Comment