Friday, October 1, 2010

Savings Interest Rates

You know what really irks me? Current interest rates on savings accounts. My basic savings account is only at .25%! Yes, a quarter percent! I have another "special"savings account which is fluid, but if I take money out then I don't get interest on the remaining amount for a quarter, or something like that. Anyhow, that savings account gives me 1%, and with the small amount of just over $400 in that account, I earned a whopping 89 cents this quarter.

On the other hand, my basic savings account has close to $6,000 and this quarter I earned $2.76 at a .25% interest rate.

This "special" savings account requires a set amount to be transferred into it on a monthly basis from my checking account. Besides this, I am only allowed to change this set amount and add money to it once a year. When it was "open" this year, I kept the transfer amount at a measly $30 per month because it was so close to my debt free date and I didn't want to take any chances.

I'm thinking that at my next opportunity I will transfer a chunk of my savings to this "special" account and increase the transfer amount to at least $100 per month.

Oh, how I wish the rates would go up. Yes, I know I need to put money in other places, like maybe a CD or Money Market account, but feel like I have lots to learn before I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment